During the 2013 NBA Draft, it was a common theme to see drafted players with famous athlete fathers throughout the night. Shane Larkin, son of Major League Baseball Hall of Famer Barry Larkin, was selected by the Atlanta Hawks. Tim Hardaway Jr., son of ex NBA All-Star Tim Hardaway, was selected by the New York Knicks. And Glen Rice Jr., son of ex NBA All-Star Glen Rice, was selected by the Washington Wizards.
With that theme embedded in my mind, I was surprised to hear the name Colton Iverson, who was selected by the Pacers and eventually traded to the Celtics. I immediately thought to myself “Did Allen Iverson’s son just get drafted too?” And if so, what an incredible genetic coincidence that four outstanding athletes could all have children in the same draft!
As it turns out, my dream was destroyed once I learned that Colton Iverson is seven-feet tall and white, meanwhile, Allen Iverson is six-feet tall and black. Also, Allen is just 14 years older than Colton and Allen is from Virginia, while Colton hails from South Dakota. The chances of a teenaged Allen Iverson fathering a large Caucasian basketball prodigy in a different time zone seem completely impossible. Or is it?
As we know, pro athletes are known for their ability to multiply at a prodigious pace. With that in mind, I came up with a fictional top-5 list of women who could have helped Allen Iverson conceive such a unique specimen like Colton.
5) Gabrielle Reece: A great athlete in her own right, Gabby Reece also has the type of looks that would attract attention from any NBA prospect. This volleyball star also has the height advantage over Allen, standing at six-foot-three. That could explain where Colton got most of his height from.
4) Mariah Carey: Before her dramatic transformation into a water-buffalo, this songbird was the apple of most teenaged boy’s eyes in the 1990’s. Mariah’s provocative outfits of that time must have been too much for an up-and-coming baller to resist. Her preference for the brothers is also very well documented.
3) Misty May-Treanor: Another volleyballer from California, Misty is a six-time Olympic Gold Medalist and definitely has the athletic credentials to produce pro-talent with Allen Iverson. Standing at only five-foot-eight, Misty lacks the prototypical NBA height. However, she more than makes up for it with tattoos.
2) Rebecca Lobo: This former WNBA All-Star packs a strong genetic punch with her skills on the hardwood and her six-foot-four frame that could easily overpower the diminutive teenaged Iverson. This combination of cat-like quickness off the dribble from Iverson, and the interior power game of Lobo would be more than enough to produce NBA talent.
1) Martina Navratilova: To the naked eye, this pick comes completely out of left field. However, the former tennis legend has the athletic ability and instincts that can help create professional talent. Also, when you think about a grown woman like Martina having to deal with a teenage punk like Allen Iverson, is it really a surprise that she swore off men for good?